+ Reply to Thread

Added Factory Nav/Hybrid Unit to my FEH...

I am wrapping up the conversion of my FEH radio to a factory nav system. I lucked out and got a radio, antenna, and disc set for about $300 on ebay. To make the swap work, though, I had to buy the CAN/ACP module and the harness from Ford. Those cost about $200, so total cost for everything ~ $500. I didn't add the CD changer, subwoofer, or tweeters, although I may later. I now have a multitude of FE indicators! The average econ display and instant econ bar graph are still in my message center, as one would expect, in addition to the FE display in the Nav unit.

In the process of doing this swap I learned that you can retrieve the HV battery SOC and voltage from the CAN using the SC, but it is somewhat cumbersome and doesn't always work if there are other requests on the CAN. At any rate, I think now that it would be possible to make a circuit board to take the ACP battery info and make a battery output meter. This will take significant time and effort, though, and is not high on my list now.

Lastly, the CAN/ACP module mounts on the passenger sidewall...can anybody with a factory installation look how the harness is routed to see if it goes behind the HVAC box? Mine is just hanging right now, but everything works.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
    I

In the process of doing this swap I learned that you can retrieve the HV battery SOC and voltage from the CAN using the SC, but it is somewhat cumbersome and doesn't always work if there are other requests on the CAN. At any rate, I think now that it would be possible to make a circuit board to take the ACP battery info and make a battery output meter. This will take significant time and effort, though, and is not high on my list now.

Thanks!

Hopefully Gary G. can chip in on this latest bit of information. His son has the education and skill to create a battery output meter for the rest of us. That is, if his son can be convinced to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk24 View Post
    Hopefully Gary G. can chip in on this latest bit of information. His son has the education and skill to create a battery output meter for the rest of us. That is, if his son can be convinced to do so.
    About a year ago after talking to Ron at Scangauge, I posted this information about going though the Audio Control Protocol (ACP) on GH. The data supplied from the Controller Area Network (CAN) is translated into messages into audio control protocol messages. These messages are used by the Navi to calculate the high voltage power flow and fuel economy screens. The program to convert these messages has not been duplicated to my knowledge.

As far as my Son, he left MIT and moved to Manhattan to do another start-up company. He has no access to a FEH/MMH and even if he did, I don't think he would have time to work on this. I'll bring it up to him though.

On page 419-07-16 of the '05 Workshop Manual, there is a nice diagram and instructions on how to remove and install the ACP. Let down the glove box which has a clip to let it swing all the way down. There are two screws (one on top and one on the bottom, part# W705314-S) that mount the ACP to the high right side of the right fender side. The electrical connector (part of 19B107) appears to run behind the HVAC duct. Hope you had the battery disconnected while doing the work.

Good job DesertDog, but I think there is a good reason the subwoofer and two other speakers are not added at the dealership or at the factory without the premium package. I think there connected through the Smart Junction Box according to the manual.

GaryG

The thread from greenhybrid.com that goes into a numerical detail of the the hybrid batteries state of charge (SOC) on the ScangaugeII is here: http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/s...ead.php?t=8826
    Yes GaryG has a post in here about using a pocket PC for this information.

It appears Ron from ScangaugeII is presenting information on this and other items with this device this weekend at the Hybridfest held near Madison, Wisconsin.

A breakthru with the scangaugeII device in presenting the Hybrid battery SOC would enable the rest of us to obtain a device to help with fuel efficiency without spending $2000 for a new Ford hybrid/navigation headunit. Yes you can find used ones at cheaper prices.