Using the A/C climate control for the Heat??
I just bought a new 08 Prius on Saturday, and I am trying to figure out where the heat is?, I don't see a separate indicator for the Heat, so my assumption is that in order to use the heat I have to turn on the A/C and just set the climate control to a warm setting?
I am still a bit confused on how to even get just the fan going to bring in outside air to the car instead of actually using the Air conditioning..
I bought a package 2 Prius. Can anyone shed some light on how this cooling/heating system works and can you just use the fan mode to bring in outside air without actually turing on the air conditioning?
1. If you have not already
1. If you have not already done so, read the 400+ page manual that comes with the Prius. This car has ALOT of non-standard features and controls.
2. the air conditioning does NOT have to be on to get heat, just the fan.
3. On the Climate screen, select your fan speed. Then you can select the amount of heat and where you want it to blow on either the climate screen OR on the buttons on the steering wheel.
4. On the steering wheel you will find temp up and down buttons. Prius is a thermostat controlled heating and AC. Just select the temp you want it to maintain, and the Prius will control the amount of heat. If you push the temp control to the "LOW" or "HIGH" limits, the car will default into full or no heat ventilation. Same for AC.
5. If you want to use the defroster on the windshield, press the curved windshield shape button on the dash. Press it again to take the heat off the windshield and back to the dashboard vents.
The "square" windshield button turns the rear window defrosters on and off.
There are little buttons that show air recirculating and "fresh air" ventilation on the climate screen.
Again, you REALLY, REALLY need to read the owners manual to operate a Pruis. This is an ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY car.
Thanks for all this info,
Thanks for all this info, actually I have been reading the manual, but It just seemed confusing for me because the manual itself did not mention the heat setting. But I called the dealership and they explained to me that the car has an automatic climate control, so I need to just set the temp for higher warmer temps if I want the heat to come on, but I am still confused on how to just make the fan work and get just the outside air, I have tried just touching one of the control buttons to indicate how much air to come out and then as soon as I hit a button for the fan speed the A/C automatically goes on, the light on the A/C button lights up. I guess I would have to readjust the temp control to match the outside air in order for the A/C light to go off and just bring the outside air in?,
Actually, the Prius has a 8
Actually, the Prius has a 8 liter storage container that holds hot radiator coolant to keep the car warm when the engine is off. Also used to pre-heat the engine with stored "warm" radiator coolant when starting the car in cold weather. Helps the car warm up faster.
BUT, the gas engine only cycles on and off when the engine is warm. A cold engine cannot start and stop repeatedly without suffering excess wear-and-tear on the moving parts.
SO... when you use the heat alot, in cold climates, the engine has to run more often then necessary to just propel the car.
That's one reason why you get reduced mileage during colder weather.
AND... If you want "just fan". Take a look at the "outside air temperature" on the center console display, and set your climate control temp to the SAME TEMP! If the car thinks you are happy at the same temperature as outside, then it will just circulate fresh air when you turn the fan on (from the climate control screen).
And once again, PLEASE read the owner's manual! This is not your father's Studebaker!