The 6th Annual REFUEL Clean Power Motorsports Event, an EV race, will be held this coming Sunday July 20 at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.
For the sixth year running, Speed Ventures will welcome electric cars and motorcycles to Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in Monterey, California to showcase cutting-edge clean transportation technology in a motorsports setting.
Speed Ventures said it will provide track time and basic performance driving instruction for drivers of electric cars and riders of electric motorcycles. The event is open to the new wave of Electric Vehicles (EVs) as well as to electric conversions and purpose-built all-electric race cars.
Owners of electric vehicles and motorcycles can participate in open track sessions and compete in the SportElectric Time Trial which is classed for production vehicles, conversions and prototypes. Speed Ventures expects competition this year to be fierce.
For 2014, the REFUEL Clean Power Motorsports Event will offer the following:
- Drive your EV, Electric Motorcycle, or Electric Kart on Mazda Raceway at speed and receive basic performance driving instruction
- Participate in the SportElectric Time Trial to see who is the fastest EV driver at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
- Drive your EV on the EV Performance Test Course (Autocross style)
- Rendezvous with hundreds of EV owners and fans during the EV Owner’s Meet
- A Parade Lap on The World Famous Mazda Raceway Laguna is open to all EVs in attendance (low speed, passengers are allowed, no helmets required)
- Free charging stations for REFUEL track and Time Trial participants. (charging is available to participants only)
Quite a few Tesla and other EVs are expected at the event, as well as converted cars like a special Silver ’59 ZelectricRacyBug made by California-based ZelectricBugs.