After eight days on the Trans-Canada highway, the 2014 Chevrolet Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel and the husband-wife team of Garry Sowerby and Lisa Calvi arrived in Halifax on Friday, August 30 with an average fuel consumption reading of 4.3 liters/100 kilometers (54.70 U.S. mpg).
Overall Trip: 5955.8 km (3700.76 miles)
Overall Average fuel consumption: 4.3 L/100km (54.70 U.S. mpg)
Overall Average speed: 80.3 km/h (49.89 mph)
“We had a great trip across the country, showing Canadians and ourselves that to do a massive road trip can be fun, frugal and fuel efficient,” said Lisa Calvi. “In fact, we drove over 1,400 kilometers (869.91 miles) on our best tank of fuel. Overall, the Cruze consumed 250.9 liters (66.28 U.S. gallons) of diesel fuel for the entire trip, costing just over $300.”
Garry and Lisa described their parameters for this record setting road trip as follows:
- Average overall speed on the entire journey must be 80 km/h (49.7 mph) or above. We were at no time a hazard on the roads. We drove the speed limit, slightly under where we could and where it was safe to do so. We traveled with the flow of traffic on two-lane highways and used passing lanes to their full efficiency.
- The entire trip must be completed in 8 days or 192 hours. We did it in 189 hours.
- The entire route must be within Canada between Halifax and Vancouver. Direction of travel is up to the drive team.
- No boats, ferries, airplanes or trains allowed.
- You must use the least amount of fuel.
- Vehicle: to the discretion of the drive team but must be a stock, production model that is available for sale in Canada. We used a 2014 Chevy Clean Turbo Diesel Cruze, according to Chevrolet, the most fuel-efficient non-hybrid car on the market.
“We set a record by driving the speed limit, or just slightly below, with the right product,” said Garry Sowerby. “We used the most fuel-efficient non-hybrid car on the market.”
Chevrolet Canada said the 2014 Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel was chosen for this adventure for its industry best 4.2 L/100 kilometers (56 U.S. mpg) highway fuel consumption – better than any non-hybrid passenger car in Canada.
The Cruze’s diesel powertrain provides 151 horsepower and 264 pound-feet of torque. The car’s fuel tank holds 59 liters (15.58 U.S. gallons) of diesel fuel.