Chargemaster’s network of 14 electric vehicle (EV) rapid chargers is ready to go four weeks earlier than anticipated.
The network of 14 rapid chargers, forming Milton Keynes CrossLink and supplied and operated by Chargemaster Plc, has been completed four weeks. Chargemaster said the rapid chargers are some of the first ‘tri-standard’ units in the UK and will allow EV drivers to charge their cars in approximately 20 minutes, enabling cross-country motoring through Cambridge, Bedford, Milton Keynes, Buckingham and Oxford.
CrossLink is a Milton Keynes Council initiative and the charging units are located at strategic locations connecting Cambridge and Bedford in the East with Milton Keynes and Cheltenham, Oxford and Buckingham with Milton Keynes to the South West.
Per Chargemaster, the ‘tri-standard’ charging points are designed to work with all the latest electric cars including the new BMW i3 and VW e-up!, the Nissan Leaf, Renault Zoe, Citroen C Zero, Peugeot Ion, Mitsubishi i-MiEV and the Tesla Model S, the first UK models of which will arrive next month.
The network of charging points has been partly funded by UK’s Office for Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV) under a government scheme supporting the growth of ultra low emission vehicles and the respective charging network.
“These charge points are the first of their kind in England, able to rapidly recharge a wide range of plug-in vehicles,” said Transport Minister Baroness Kramer. “The government is committed to making the UK a leading market for ultra low emission vehicles and putting in place versatile and accessible infrastructure like this is an important part of making this happen.”
The 14 CrossLink rapid charger sites are located at:
- MK Bus Station, Elder Gate, Milton Keynes
- Avebury Boulevard, Juntion with Lower 12th Street, Milton Keynes
- Outside Xscape, Avebury Boulevard, Milton Keynes
- Northfield Drive, Northfield, Milton Keynes
- Silverstone Circuit Innovation Centre, Silverstone, Northants
- Silverstone Circuit Wing, Silverstone, Northants
- Cheltenham Racecourse, Cheltenham, Gloucester
- W. Ganderton, Swan Garage, 20 Bridge Street, Buckingham MK18 1AF
- Oxford Belfry Hotel, Milton Common, Thame, Oxfordshire OX9 2JW
- Elms BMW, 4 Sheepfold Ln, Cambridge CB23 6EF
- Cambridge Belfry Hotel, Back Ln, Great Cambourne, Cambridge CB23 6BW
- Elms BMW, Clifton Parc, Caxton Rd, Bedford MK41 0GL