We’re now at CalCars 3.0. Here’s our "version history:"
- 1.0 was "What’s a plug-in hybrid?" (2002-04)
- 2.0 was "How can I get one?" (2005-06)
- 3.0 is "Let’s get PHEVs from car-makers!" (2007-??)
We’ve come an incredibly long way in 2006. Plug-in hybrids are now a solution endorsed by leaders in business, government at every level, environmentalists, citizens groups, policy analysts, academics — and car-makers. Some days the news has been so amazing it seems unreal. Also see our year-end review about all that’s happened.
Meanwhile, we’re advancing a range of projects to achieve our paramount goal: getting car-makers to mass-produce plug-in hybrids. We list the most ambitious items first:
- Emphasize PHEVs’ value as "carbon killers" — get emerging grass-roots/community/ business coalitions to adopt them as a leading climate crisis solution we can begin to build with no new technology. Continue promoting PHEVs’ energy security and economic benefits, reducing dependence on oil with no new infrastructure.
- Refine and implement our "No-Worry" fleet plan to eliminate batteries as an impediment for car-makers, speeding creation of a demonstration fleet of thousands of "good-enough" PHEVs from carmakers and integrators — and building a pathway to mass production.
- Find ways to accelerate the frustratingly slow pace of conversion deliveries; this may involve spinning off a for-profit company, while continuing CalCars.org — it’s taking a while to put the many pieces in place.
- Work to enact the bi-partisan, bi-cameral Vehicle and Fuel Choices for American Security Act; advance other steps to significantly expand state and federal government programs (including the "No Worry" plan) incentivizing and supporting PHEVs.
- Launch targeted efforts specifically directed at individual automakers, combining public advocacy campaigns and private cooperative business proposals.
- Pursue technology projects to demonstrate new batteries, enable do-it-yourself conversions and convert hybrids other than Prius.
- Working with Plug-In Partners, Plug In America, and others, evangelize for PHEVs; bring our converted cars to events that engage, educate and activate new constituencies and support the growing number of distributed cars and advocates worldwide.
- Respond to media, now including books as well as print and broadcast stories.