Hyundai announced a third powertrain for its Sonata to be found in a new model, the 2015 Sonata Eco.
The 2015 Sonata Eco is expected to deliver 32 mpg combined fuel economy rating, will start at $23,275, excluding $810 freight charge, and go into production at the Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama plant later this summer, said the Korean automaker.
This version of the Sonata essentially stands alongside the existing Sonata hybrid which is not due to be updated until later.
“The Sonata Eco enhances the sophisticated design and confidence-inspiring driving dynamics of the 2015 Sonata with even more impressive fuel economy,” said John Shon, manager, product planning. “This innovative powertrain improves fuel efficiency without sacrificing the driving experience.”
Hyundai explained the 2015 Sonata Eco is powered by a 1.6-liter turbocharged Gamma four-cylinder engine producing an estimated 177 horsepower and 195 pound-feet of torque. The Sonata Eco is the first Hyundai product to utilize a new seven-speed dual-clutch transmission. This innovative powertrain is said to help the Sonata Eco deliver an estimated 28 mpg city and 38 mpg highway fuel economy rating. The estimated 32 mpg combined rating is, said Hyundai, segment-leading for a non-hybrid mid-size sedan and more than a 10 percent improvement over a 2015 Sonata SE powered by the 2.4-liter Theta II engine.
However, the car does not match the $26,000-plus 2014 Sonata Hybrid which is rated at 36 mpg city, 40 mpg highway, and 38 mpg combined.
The 2015 Sonata Eco comes standard with all the features of Sonata SE plus a chrome grille, side mirror-mounted turn signal indicators, automatic headlights, a 10-way power driver seat with lumbar support, stitching on the instrument cluster hood, chrome interior door handles, 5-inch color touchscreen audio, a rearview backup camera and Blue Link telematics system.
Hyundai added the only available option is the $4,100 Technology Package that includes:
- Blind Spot Detection System (BSD) with Rear-cross Traffic Alert and Lane Change Assist
- Chrome exterior door handles with welcome light
- Hands-free Smart Trunk Auto Open
- Proximity key entry with push-button start
- Leather seating surfaces
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
- Heated front seats
- Dual automatic temperature control
- 4.2-inch color LCD Multi-Info Display
- 8-inch navigation system featuring voice command technology, HD Radio Technology, improved touch sensitivity, navigation and map split display, navigation with junction view lane guidance, Apple Eyes Free Siri integration, Wi-Fi client for downloading apps
- Dimension premium audio
- · SiriusXM Travel Link, which provides access to traffic information, sports scores, weather, stock prices, fuel prices and local movie times, with 3-month complimentary subscription.
- Auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink and compass
- Auto up/down front passenger window